Saturday, December 30, 2017

Lilah's First Audition!

It was a text that I wasn't expecting from a friend. She said something to the effect of, "Hey, just wanted to let you know that there are a few audition dates for the production "Snow White & The Seven Dwarfs" at Attic Productions, if Lilah is interested." My friend has mentioned several times that she sees talent in Lilah. This friend, Zayne, has seen Lilah's talent just through exploring our family blog. Zayne recently moved here from Florida, AFTER connecting with me through my blog, to ask me questions about Roanoke.  The story is truly unbelievable and I will have to share it with you one day. Since moving to Roanoke, she has been in a few productions of her own at the Mill Mountain Theatre.  So, needless to say, she knows what it takes.  

I asked Lilah if she was interested in auditioning and without hesitation... she said, "YES!" I was super excited because I never want to force ANYTHING on my children or try and live vicariously through them.  So aside from offering up the dates and times, this was ALL with Lilah's approval and willingness.  

The day before she was really excited and even had me print out some monologues for her to practice.  The day of, she was slightly nervous.  I thought she was going to change her mind, but she pushed through, knowing that if she ever wanted to have her own Disney show... she HAS TO START somewhere.  Hahahahaha.
We arrived! With true excitement and undoubtedly some butterflies. We filled out a sheet with our personal information on it and then checked the boxes of characters that Lilah would be interested performing as.  She did NOT check Snow White, LOL!
The theatre is adorable: a good size, clean, charismatic, and intimate.  
They asked each person auditioning to take a still photo with their name. I guess this was simply to help trigger the faces, for those who would have the final say, as to whether or not someone had what it took to be in this particular play. I mean how could they possibly remember who was who without snapping their faces/names?
And then the auditioning began...
There was (16) kids auditioning.  The groups were split in (2) and each group had to do two cold reads in front of everyone who was present.  I was really hoping Lilah would make it to the second round, so she could see what she was up against, but she was called on the first round.  Eeeeekkk! Her cold reads went smooth.  She read with intentionality, infliction, and got into character. The kids also had to memorize a dance and a song.  The dance was performed on stage and the song had to be sung as a solo.  If I share any of her audition footage, it will be in the next post, but I am debating. Her audition was excellent, considering she had ZERO experience of a cold read and considering her butterflies, but it didn't depict even a 1/4 of her talent.  I was still pretty pleased though.
AND so was the director, Ms. Georgia. 
On Wednesday, December 6th @ 9:25 pm, we received "the call."  Ms. Georgia bypassed ME  and asked to speak to Lilah. She told Lilah that she made the cut and asked Lilah if she would accept a spot on the stage. Lilah of course said "YES" with a BIG SMILE.  I was over here like, "What?! What?! What's going on?"  I was blown away that I wasn't told first being Lilah is a minor, haha.  I am so glad that Lilah was still up WHEN, on a school night, she ordinarily would be in bed. I am guessing the director wants these children to take full ownership of their role in the production.  For two straight days we had to hold in the good news.  We weren't allowed to tell anyone because she hadn't broken the news to the kids that didn't make it.  That was Ms. Georgia's next step.  Out of 60 children who auditioned, Lilah made the cut of 25.  The musical will be on February 2nd, 3rd, 9th (my birthday), and 10th. Tickets are $8.00.  Please let me know if you are interested in coming to watch this sweet play.  For now, we drive to Fincastle 2-3 days a week (two for play practice and once for set performance).
Oh my Liley, you are going to go places.  You are a performer, a dancer, and an actress to say the least. My favorite hashtag for you is #shescaresme (in a good way), because it's trueAs one of your teachers once said to me, "That girl is a natural born leader!". You're feisty and sweet.  Strong willed, yet tender.  Pretty much fearless. Your personality is larger than life. You are so outgoing. I am watching you and wishing I had half your ability. I can't wait to see how the Lord shapes and molds you with all the talents he has gifted to you.  This play is a great beginning! A huge honor.  I am so excited I get to spend my 41st birthday watching you perform!
#Cloud9 #ProudMommy

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome and enjoy all comments by those who read my blog!! So please dont just withdraw...
Deposit a little something too :)