Friday, April 5, 2013

Additional Ways to Discipline...


My mom used to always say, "Spare the rod, spoil the child!"  As a child, I HATED THAT PHRASE.  Or how about, "This hurts me, more than it hurts you!" "Yea right!!!" I always thought.  But it's true....


Our primary way to discipline, in this home, is biblical... spanking!!!

There are a ton of passages that support our biblical decision.  Knowing we are being obedient to God, when we discipline this way, is so reassuring.  After all, it seems to be that spanking is so unsupported by so many.  WHY?  Yes, I agree, if you are NOT spanking in LOVE, calmly, it is abuse.  It's once been said to me, "You have an outlet.  You spank your child to get that relief."  Uh- no!!!  If you treat your child like a rag doll, aka getting relief, while spanking, then you are doing it incorrectly and you are being DISOBEDIENT yourself.  But, if you truly do it, in love, it's what is commanded of us and it will reap much reward. 

Here a just a few passages that support spanking!

Proverbs 13:24 
"Whoever spares the rod hates his son, but he who loves him is diligent to discipline him."

Proverbs 19:18
"Discipline your son, for there is hope, do not set your heart on putting him to death."

Proverbs 22:15 
"Folly is bound up in the heart of a child, but the rod of discipline drives it far from him."

Proverbs 23:13
"Do not withhold (A)discipline from a child; if you strike him with a rod, he will not die."

Proverbs 23:14
"If you strike him with the rod, you will save his soul from Sheol."

Proverbs 29:15
"The rod and reproof give wisdom, but a child left to himself brings shame to his mother."

Often times, Darren and I are NOT as consistent as we would like to be or should be. It basically amounts to laziness or exhaustion from disciplining all day.  I have also found that I can discipline my children differently, as they all require different levels of discipline.  

As Tyson gets older, spanking him has become much more difficult.  Often times, I take his most prized possession away from him instead... his ipod.  Lately, I have chosen to make him RUN HOME OR eat dinner in his room, alone.  These other forms of punishment give both parties (Tyson and I) a moment to diffuse or calm ourselves down and really think about what needs to be discussed.  Although, at the time, NOT funny, looking back at these photos, it really makes me laugh to see him running home or eating dinner alone in his room.  I am reverting back to the "Leave it to Beaver" days.
I stopped the van and made Tyson run home, after being repeatedly disobedient, in the van, on the way home from the grocery store.  He loved this and thought it was so cool, until he realized how cold it was outside.  It helped him get some aggression/energy out.
After throwing a bowl at his brother's face, as hard as he could, I made Tyson eat dinner in his room, alone, and asked him to think about a better way he could have expressed himself.

I am not afraid of man's opinion on spanking, nor will I hold back this form of discipline to please man!  We are on this earth for one purpose and one purpose ONLY... to please God.  AND so... spanking will remain the overall form of discipline in this home.

Oh and for the record, before and after we spank, we use this opportunity as a teachable moment to teach our children about the gospel and how God disciplined His only son for the sake of our sins.  It's a great way to share the pain Jesus endured for our transgressions.

Hebrews 12:6-7

"For the Lord disciplines the one he loves and chastises every son whom he receives.  It is for discipline that you have to endure. God is treating you as sons. For what son is there whom his father does not discipline?"

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome and enjoy all comments by those who read my blog!! So please dont just withdraw...
Deposit a little something too :)