Saturday, July 28, 2012

You were so special to me!


On July 25, 2012, my grandmother had her 81st birthday. I was able to spend about 10 minutes on the phone talking to her. The very next day, my grandmother past away. My life was definitely unique being born to parents ages 16 (mom) and 18 (dad). I have experienced a lot about life that my own children hopefully will never have to experience, EVER, but as much as I have coveted those who have had a "normal" childhood, I cannot complain about my own. Those experiences have provided me with opportunities that produced growth in my life, somehow, someway.... tangent.... sorry.

Few things in my life were consistent and constant. VERY FEW. One of those things was the love for my grandmother. She was so special to me. She was truly the only grandparent I've ever had a relationship with AND if it wasn't for the distance (separated by states), I know we would have had a "normal" grandparent/grandchild relationship. We kept in touch through the telephone though. We shared a special date together, February 9th (my birthday and her anniversary to my grandfather).

A breast cancer survivor which included a radical mastectomy, she has endured it all. Recently, she was diagnosed with another cancerous tumor. We knew that her age, the cancer, and time was against her, but after speaking with her on the phone, on her birthday, I thought for sure she had a few more weeks (maybe months... 2 at the most) to go. I am not sure it has really hit me yet. This is the first funeral I will have attended where it has directly affected me personally. I covet your prayers.

I am so grateful for the opportunity I had to spend an evening with her at my sister Ashely's wedding less than a year ago. I am holding on to the last hug I gave her and will cherish it for the rest of my life.

"Mema" or "Grammy", as I liked to call her, had 19 grandchildren and 16 great-grandchildren.

I will always love you grandma!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome and enjoy all comments by those who read my blog!! So please dont just withdraw...
Deposit a little something too :)