Monday, October 8, 2012

Pumpkin Cinnamon Streusel Pancakes

This photo was taken from Two Peas and Their Pod website.
Last night, I made "fluffy" scrambled eggs and pumpkin cinnamon streusel pancakes.  We usually do breakfast for dinner two times a month.  It's simple and it's almost impossible to mess up.  I normally make pecan banana pancakes (Darren's favorite), but with Fall's arrival, I wanted to add a little Fall into our meal.  After Darren's first bite, he said, "WOW, these are so good, but you can tell they aren't good for you!"  Haha... he's always concerned about that part.  He ate them anyway and I reassured him that I took the proper dietary measures to make these pancakes a little more healthier than the original recipe calls for.  

I got the recipe from the website "Two Peas and Their Pod". Wish I could take credit for creating the recipe. When Darren said they were delicious, I replied, "Don't give me credit... I didn't make the recipe :), I just replicated it!"  

Pumpkin Cinnamon Streusel Pancakes:




















For the cinnamon streusel:
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
6 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into chunks
To make the pancakes: 
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
2 tablespoons light brown sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1/8 teaspoon ground ginger
1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
1 cup milk
1/2 cup canned pumpkin (not pumpkin pie filling)
1 large egg
2 tablespoons canola oil
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

directions:

1. First, make the cinnamon streusel. In a medium bowl, combine flour, brown sugar, cinnamon, and butter. Mix together with your hands or a fork, until you have a crumbly mixture. Set aside.
2. In a large bowl, whisk together flours, brown sugar, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, and cloves. Set aside.
3. In a medium bowl, whisk together milk, egg, pumpkin, canola oil, and vanilla extract. Add wet ingredients to the flour mixture and whisk until combined.
4. Heat a griddle or pan to medium low. Coat with cooking spray. Drop 1/3 cup of batter onto heated skillet. Add 2 tablespoons of the cinnamon streusel. Cook on the first side until bubbles begin to form, about 2-3 minutes. Carefully flip pancake over and cover very generously with cinnamon streusel. Cook for another 2-3 minutes or until golden brown. Continue this process to make the rest of the pancakes.
5. Serve pancakes warm with maple syrup and butter.
Here are the two changes I made to the original recipe: 1. I used SPLENDA brown sugar in place of regular brown sugar. 2. I used whole wheat flour in place of the white flour.  

MY ONLY SUGGESTION... if you're entire family will enjoy these (my kids wouldn't touch them) I not only encourage, but DEMAND, you triple the recipe.  One batch only makes 6 pancakes.  While they are filling, one batch doesn't allow anyone to have "seconds."  
My only "complaint"... this recipe makes a sink full of dishes,
But then again, what homemade dinner doesn't?

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing! These look delish. I may make them for Zach and kids on Sunday! I'm always on the search for new fun seasonal recipes, so keep sharing!

    ReplyDelete

I welcome and enjoy all comments by those who read my blog!! So please dont just withdraw...
Deposit a little something too :)