Saturday, February 5, 2011

Another possible surgery for Jax.

When Jax was 2 months old, we learned that he had two inguinal hernias that had to be repaired. Remember that? If not, here's a photo to help jog your memory.
Recently, during a "dance party" we were having as a family, Jaxon got injured. The injury was to his upper lip. I thought nothing of it because I know mouths bleed a lot. After I put him to bed, he called for me (which he never does). I came in and he said, "boo-boo hurt". I removed him from his crib and laid him on the hallway floor. I pulled up his lip and to my surprise found something I wasn't expecting. I immediately called Darren upstairs to have him take a peak. Basically, the flap of skin that holds your upper lip to your upper gums is not where it should be. Instead, it's in between his two front teeth.

Darren did some google searches and the determined that Jax is going to have to have surgery. By the way, this condition is UN-related to the injury.
The surgery is called a labial frenectomy and is a form of frenectomy performed on the lip. The labial frenulum often attaches to the center of the upper lip and between the upper two front teeth. This can cause a large gap and gum recession by pulling the gums off the bone. A labial frenectomy removes the labial frenulum. Orthodontic patients often have this procedure done to assist with closing a front tooth gap. Check out this website for a few pictures of what this would look like before, during, and after the surgery.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Labial_frenectomy

Finally, do you see how bad his top front teeth appear? One day, we were headed to story time and when we arrived, I was allowing Lilah and Jaxon to hold hands and walk into the library. I went to put Jax down on the ground. I thought his feet were planted on the floor, but they weren't and when I let go, he fell face first bumping his head and chipping a tooth. I didn't realize the chipped tooth for almost 1 month. I thought he just bumped his head. What a dental mess he is! But regardless, he is still insanely adorable :)

Please pray for the doctors to give us the proper direction as to how to handle this. Not to mention, this surgery looks painful. So please pray for Jax.

3 comments:

  1. Poor Jaxey. We will be in prayer for him. Cohen loves to pray for his friends.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had a similar surgery done when I was younger. Different in the fact that the skin connecting my lip was properly placed, but i had a ton of excess gum growing down btw the two front teeth. It is actually hereditary. My niece and Cyrus both have it. The surgery didn't work for me - my skin grew back and my perfectly straight teeth eventually regain a space...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmm this is all very interesting because Vivian has this exact same issue with her gums. I guess I should take her to a pediatric dentist for her first cleaning and see what they say about it. I very vaguely remember a nurse at Carilion saying something about her gums when she saw it the day after she was born.

    ReplyDelete

I welcome and enjoy all comments by those who read my blog!! So please dont just withdraw...
Deposit a little something too :)