Tuesday, July 21, 2015

VBS (2015) - Surprised At Sea!

Our church does a phenomenal job planning, preparing, and hosting VBS (Vacation Bible School).  Every year, a theme is picked, from the Bible, and so many masterminds behind the planning process produce an incredible outcome.  From the decorations, to the characters, to the songs...it's all original and created. We all keep saying how it needs to be copyrighted. This year, the story of Jonah was chosen to be taught to the children. You know the story about how Jonah was eaten by the whale and survived?  The story is was more than that though.  The message that was hopefully conveyed was the contrast between Jonah and Christ.  For example, Jonah needed forgiveness. Christ offers forgiveness.  Jonah was disobedient to God's call to go to Ninevah.  Christ perfectly obeyed God's calling to die on the cross.  Jonah was willing to give up his life rather than call the ninevites to repent and believe.  Christ gave up His life so we can repent and believe.  
The workers are blessed each night with a homemade meal, before the festivities begin.  We normally arrived at 5:30 pm and wouldn't return home until about 9:00 pm.  It's such a blessing to not have to shop or cook, for food, for 5 days. Thank you to the chefs for blessing all of the workers during VBS week.
This year, Darren and I were responsible for media.  Darren had video and I had photography.  I took about 400 photos, so clearly I cannot post them all.  I will post several of my favorite (mostly of my children and the people we are close to, since it's our blog) and then I will include a Picasa Web Album, below, if you'd enjoy viewing them ALL.  I will also include the end of the week video recap that Darren always does each year. Oh yea, one night Darren was coerced into being a pirate. Haha. I think he played the part well.
It's a jam packed, week long or long week (haha) filled with so much fun, fellowship, and definitely gospel filled good news.  It always amazes me at how well the children learn the story and how they are so enthusiastic to return each night.  They could teach some adults a lesson or two. I left VBS each night encouraged and grateful for it all, but I told Darren I was happy to get to spend 5 nights interacting with some church members that I have barely had an opportunity to engage with. It was a good way for the adults to really talk, laugh, and be social too!
In the end, God was definitely glorified in many, many, many ways! Way to go Erin, Adam Renard, Gretchen, Pastor Nick, dancers, workers, chefs, and children for celebrating Jesus and His work on the cross for us!
Please come out next year and allow your children to be a part of the incredible week. Oh and each year, we also encourage the kids to bring in cash donations and canned goods. The money we raised this year helped purchase children's Bibles for the children at our local rescue mission AND the canned goods went to the food pantry kitchen. The entire week provides MANY great and important life lessons to learn about how we have been served, through Jesus' blood, and how to serve others.  

1 comment:

  1. Kristin, this is awesome! Working with the middle schoolers (and having a super descriptive 7-year-old *eye roll*), I miss out on a lot of this, so it was awesome to see what was going on. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

I welcome and enjoy all comments by those who read my blog!! So please dont just withdraw...
Deposit a little something too :)