Saturday, July 13, 2013

Sleepless in Roanoke!!!!! A Minute To Win It "Sleepover"?!?!?!?!

So, as the story goes, this party was a "sleepover" party!  Each boy brought along their pillow, sleeping bag, and pajamas.  When arriving to the party, they were greeted with a sign that read, 
After a movie at the Valley View Cinema, inflatable water slide fun, dinner, 5 challenges (we played more in the a.m. that I have yet to post), dessert, and gift opening, we allowed the boys to play in the basement for about an hour.  We settled them down by popping in a movie.  We actually even watched about 1/3 of it with them.  Around midnight, I told them, "LIGHTS OUT".  I confiscated everyone's ipods and e-readers, said "good night" and went to bed myself.  Never in a million years did I think that WOULDN'T be the end of the story.

I set my alarm at 6:00 am to prepare breakfast for the birthday boy and his guests.  I wanted to be "ahead" of the game, not behind.  

Breakfast consisted of the following:
 A variety of boxed cereals, spool, and bowl.
 O.J., milk, bananas, bacon, and bagels with butter and cream cheese.
I heard the boys up, as soon as I stepped onto the middle floor, but I figured, "Man, they are already up?"  Beat me to it!!!  As I called them up for breakfast and began serving them, ONE of the party guests slipped and said, "We never fell asleep last night?"  I followed that up it with "Yeah right!  I believe that one!"  They all began professing.  I turned to Tyson and he wouldn't even look my way.  He and his friends apparently took that sign a little to literal!!! Had many of the boys not had sporting events that day to attend, I would have been okay with them staying up later or all night, but I had also promised many of the mothers that MIDNIGHT would be the latest they would stay up.  I wasn't too happy with Tyson.  I didn't want to ruin the awesome party memories, so I held back as best as I could (which wasn't easy), and handled it with each parent and with Tyson individually!

I am still stunned that 8 year old boys could get up Friday morning for school at 6:30 a.m. and party until 9:00 a.m. Saturday morning without a WINK of sleep!!!!  Once I found out the truth about them staying up all night, Ty was fearful that he was in deep trouble, so he ran off to the basement.  This is how I found him and Jake within 5 minutes of running from the breakfast table.
Ty passed out COLD on a couch frame, which I can say is NOT comfortable.  I woke him up and made him go sleep in his bed.  He slept from 7:00 a.m. until 2:30 p.m.  The only reason he woke up was because he had a baseball game to attend. While he slept, the rest of his party guests finished a few more challenges!!!  I was a little disappointed that we didn't finish the challenges with him, but I am glad he had a blast.
When everyone left, this was the condition of my basement.  Darren and I, being neat freaks, were ready and anxious to get to work cleaning it up!
I think it's safe to say, we all had a sleepover hangover and I am sure it took those boys the rest of the weekend to recover.